Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!!

It's begun.  The new year and my giant list of goals and resolutions for 2012.  I figure the more goals I have, the more likely I am to do one or two.

We brought in the new year with Black Eyed Peas, bringing it to Aunt Frances's house to share with family, for luck and health and prosperity in the new year.  I made a HillBilly Hummus with the Black eyed peas:

2 cups (or one 15 oz can) black eyed peas (reserving 1/2 cup of liquid)
2 T peanut butter
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 t dried sage
2 t cider vinegar
pinch of cayenne
salt a pepper

blend in food processor or blender, using reserved liquid until you get the consistency that makes you happy.  serve with tortilla chips.

Tomorrow is the first Monday of January and we are planning to observe Low Teck Mondays again.  Yikes, there are FIVE Mondays this year.

I am off tomorrow for the holiday, so that helps when planning wood stove cooked dinners.  Paul is probably going to give in to lights in the AM before work...that just takes too much planning to do what needs to be done to get ready for work.  Otherwise, no lights, no TV (oh, wait, we don't have TV: no NetFlix), no internet, no computer, no dishwasher, no washer, no dryer, no nothing extra...

Tomorrow night, we'll have our wood cooked meal with candlelight (or oil lamp light) and see if we can perfect our Othello gaming skills and...talk...

Also, for the month of January, I am giving up the dryer and hanging up everything to dry.  Eek.

People think we're crazy for doing this, but sometimes, I think we're crazy with all the technology that has totally infiltrated our lives.  Portable internet, constant phones, cameras, music, movies, games, FaceBook, YouTube....now granted, I enjoy most of these things.  I am not perfect and I don't think these are terrible things, but I am saddened that we spend more times looking at the technology in our hands than the people in our lives.  I feel like it's not such a bad thing to take a break from these things to remind ourselves that it can be done, it's good to be done, and it makes us look at which of these things we really find necessary and useful to us and which of these things have just become addictions.

It's not such a bad thing to take a step back once in a while.  And then we can go back to them...or not...more aware of what we rule and what rules us.  Besides, it's fun to take up a challenge once in a while.  It's fun to see where we can cut back and save too!

Happy New Year EveryOne.  Many blessing and joy to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment