Saturday, December 31, 2011

The End of Another Year...

I thought I would put this post up tomorrow, but that wouldn't be the end of this year.  It would be the New Year.  Funny how a thing can suddenly sneak up on you.

People are still puzzling out their thoughts about 2011, even NPR.  No one seems to be sure if it was a good year or a bad year.  The consensus seems to be that it was a bad year: bad weather, bad economy, bad health...bad, bad, bad.  Was it really that bad?  Or are we looking at it badly?

Maybe I'm not one to judge.  I thought it was an awesome year.  A year of changes.  We tagged onto the end of my brother's Big Ass Vacation and eeked out a trip with awesome family to awesome places.  Life is too short not to find the money when and opportunity like that arrises...especially when you're given advance notice and time to save the money or make room on the credit card.  Paul managed a trip to see his family.  Unfortunately, I wasn't able to go, but I am glad he made the time and space in his life to!

To seem to go off on a tangent, out of a health learning experience last year, I was reminded that life could be very short and that at any point this could be our last Christmas, our last New Year, or our last day on Earth.  It's a lesson I see others learning this year.  We need to make the most of every gift we are given, even at times when it seems that the only gift is another day.  Another day with so many beautiful things: mushrooms, flowers, snow, ice, birds, squirrels, friends, family, food, music...if we were meant to be miserable, life would not be filled with so many wonderful things.  We have plenty food and plenty roof over our heads, to not be happy is crazy...and I'll add to that: we have friends.

But as I said, off on a tangent.  Out of that health wake up call, I did some exploring and then signed up for Kripalu's School of Ayurveda.  I was not exactly sure what I was getting in to, but I am so grateful that life scared me enough to pursue that dream.  I am loving every minute of it.  I love every new lecture I hear and every book I read.  I love watching the puzzle fall into place for me...the "ah-ha" moments!  Through it, I am learning to pay attention to how I feel, how my body feels, and how I am living.   I am listening and then making small changes in my life to feel happier and healthier.  I am so excited to pass on what I am learning.

Well.  At the risk of rambling on even more, I must continue the tradition of posting a few of my favorite quotes and lessons of 2011:

--don't keep looking forward, forward, forward to that better future, eventually you will run out of time
--happiness is contagious
--show up, pay attention, and don't be attached to outcomes (Heal Thyself)
--be happy in this moment, we'll be dead before we know it
--Quantum Physics: in healing, YOU choose which potential outcome with your thoughts
--no bugs.  no things that eat bugs.
--birthdays are good for you, the more you have, the longer you live
--i am not perfect, and that's okay
--what is enough? what is too much?
--step lightly.  live joyfully.
--we should not accumulate unnecessary things

and the year's favorite:
prajya aparadha:
"Crimes against Wisdom" or "Misuse of Intelligence"
For example: when you know you shouldn't have that second (or third or fourth) glass of wine or that second (or third) piece of cake because you know you'll feel sick later, but you do anyway.  Often it's a Crime of the Holidays.
And it's not just about the food....

Happy New Year Everyone...may you be blessed in 2012 with plenty food, plenty roof, and plenty friends to share both with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment