Monday, October 10, 2011

The Garden....


I'm not sure exactly what happened this summer to the garden when we weren't looking!  But we went in today to harvest and clean everything up.  We still have celeriac and chard and kale to harvest.  The pepper and tomato plants looked good.  The peppers even still were flowering, but with fall well under way, we pulled things up and called it a season.


The valerian looks GREAT.  I was tempted to pull out a plant to get us through the winter, but I have enough valerian tinctured to wait and let my plants grow big and strong like I'm spose to.  I did have to tear out the marshmallow and move it.  It was way too close to the valerian.  Unfortunately, it took quite a beating in the move, and maybe I should have just taken up the roots to use and replant a new one next year, but I think there's enough time for it to settle in to it's new spot before the frosts really come.  So, I tucked the perennials in, including the beautiful sage we bought for the bees (it's not looking so great right now, but I have high hopes that it will bounce back in spring).  

And then we cleaned up the beds and planted the garlic.  The only thing left to do is get some cardboard into the beds and some more compost as we can and wait for spring.  Yay!!!  I LOVE this time of year, when I realize that the garden didn't do so bad, despite all of my neglect and if I just give it a little bit of love and attention NEXT YEAR, it could be great.  And then, January catalogs will come and I'll have completely forgotten how much work it was and I will dream big for summer!!!  I do know that I would like to put a lot more herbs into the garden in the coming years!  That's my new big plan!  

And here's a little treat we found while we were out in the garden.  I believe it is a monarch butterfly...or will be.  


No comments:

Post a Comment