Monday, August 22, 2011

Honey Extracting

All of the honey this year came out of Avalon and from the actual honey supers.  We didn't cheat and steal any from the bees.  It feels good to be finally getting honey from the honey supers!  Yay!  
Things keep getting better and better.  
Avalon looks great.  We pulled two honey supers off (not full), and left one on with just comb to let them fill to give them a little extra room and boost through the winter.  
Dionysus looks good, but didn't have any extra to be harvested.  We left everything for them and pulled off all the honey supers as they still had room to fill in the brood/deep supers.  

The honey frames to be extracted.

Extra comb and honey.  

Frames in the extracting tank.  

Bubbling Honey.  

A frame of capped honey!  

Uncapping the honey comb.  

Look at all that fresh honey below!!  

Extracted honey in the bottom of the extracting tank.  

Honey flow from the tank.  


Honey going through the sieve.  

Ten pounds of honey in 5 oz and 10 oz jars.  

Honey stored away.  The two jars in front are leftover honey jars from last year's harvest (yes, I have been hoarding!).  

Honey jars labeled and ready to be distributed to Bee Share Members.  
Each member got 15 ounces of honey this year...last year, it was only 5 ounces.  The first year...a super small jar that was barely a sample.  
It just keeps getting better and better.  

It really is beautiful.  
Like liquid Gold this year!!  
Happy Beeing Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment