Tuesday, March 15, 2011

HoneyBee Hives

It's been a long, cold, wintry winter, and I must admit that I am hoping we have turned the corner into spring.  I checked the hives today, even though it's not quite as warm as I would like, I could not wait any longer.

Chalice is gone.  They were all clustered in a big ball and just didn't have enough food to make it through the last weeks of winter.  I really wish I could have gotten into to feed them all sooner, but the weather just has not cooperated.

Dionysus is alive and I hope well.  I fed them some pollen and food supplements and they were already searching it out as I closed the lid.  I put the food between the inner and outer covers.  I didn't want to break the seal on the actual hive.  But there were bees and they were looking for food.  I hope that's a good sign.

New bees should be here in May.

I must say, it's not easy keeping bees!!!

But we are happy we made it through this winter with any bees at all.  (and I shouldn't speak too hasty, it's still a long time until Dandylions!!)

Oh, and if you trust us to just keep getting better and better at keeping bees, 2011 bee sponsors are available for $30.00 ($25.00 if you are a returning Avalon Sponsor).  Please let us know by the end of May if you would like to join. Space is limited.  Sponsors will take a share of the products from our Avalon hive this year, which will be filled with fresh, new happy (OK, kinda temperamental) Russian bees in May.  Thank you, again, to everyone who has come along on the journey with us!!

No comments:

Post a Comment