Monday, August 2, 2010

Honey Bee Hives

We checked all the hives yesterday.  Just a peek to see if they needed new honey supers.  And nope, they sure don't.  I don't know if it's the lack of rain, making a lack of nectar, or the bees are just busy with their own boxes before they work on our honey boxes.  But nothin' is going on in the honey boxes.

There are lots of bees in the top boxes of Avalon, but no honey work being done.  Though they are busy packing the propolis screen with propolis--it looks like they are working the middle of it toward the outer edges (so I did put it on correctly...it goes between the inner and outer cover...or, even if I put it on wrong, it still seems to be working).  So, we should have some propolis to share with those of you in our bee share...what you're gonna do with it, I don't know, but you should get some anyway.

Bree has lots and lots of bees in the top boxes...and some comb in the honey super, but I think the majority of that is just leftover from last year.

I wasn't hoping for a lot of honey this year, but I was hoping that all the bees would build up the comb in the honey supers so that they'll have a good head start next year (and the years to come) with built up comb to just pack honey in!  But if they don't build up some comb...well, they'll have to do it next year.  Patience, Charlotte, patience.

Oh, and I was hoping for more honey this year than last year.  But we still have a month, a month and a half, or so, before we take the honey supers off for the season.  So we still have time.  We just need some rain and lots and lots of nectar!!!

Chalice...same story.  Few bees up in the honey supers...enough to be annoyed at me, but no honey or comb.

Dionysus...yup, same thing.  No comb.  No honey.  And I did do the silliest thing...D is tucked up under the C, so to open up D, I have to tilt the lid on C.  Yes, we most definitely need to do some rearranging of the new hives before next spring.  And we will need to block those two hives from the wind before winter.

And I just hope they are going to have enough honey to get THEM through the winter.  THAT is the most important thing!!  SURVIVE the winter.

Happy Beeing Everyone.  We will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment