Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Birthday Gift


This has to be one of THE most WONDERFUL gifts I have ever received.  It was given to my by my sister-in-law's mother...a total surprise.  For those of you who follow the blog, you might recognize the picture from one I took in the winter when we gave the chickens a flat of lettuce I was trying to grow.  A.S. took the photo and watercolor painted it for me.  This was just INCREDIBLE.  Thank you so much, A.S.  You are amazing!

Yesterday, we tried Summer Low-Tech Monday.  It's a bit different from a January Low-Tech Monday.  In January, it gets really dark, really soon (we are going to concede to ONE light in the evening on LTM...so that we can read and play board games without going blind--we figure that it's better to make some small concessions and still save than it is to get so frustrated that we give it up).

But last night, we had plenty of light.  No wood stove for coffee and tea, so I made a 'sun coffee', as I knew Paul would want coffee later in the evening (I even ground the coffee in my hand grinder).  I did use the timer on the stove by mistake...ooops.  But it was cool, instead of checking my e-mail in the morning, which I am addicted to, I did Yoga Sun Salutations.  I spent a lot of time in the garden and checked bees and did outdoor chores.  So in many ways, it is much easier than Winter LTM.  We just planned better...and had grilled steaks and summer squashes for dinner.  Dinner was awesome.  And it was good to get away from the computer for a time...I need to watch how much time I waste doing ridiculous things on the internet!  Don't we all?

I checked Avalon and Bree and the bees look good.  They seem to be very busy in the lower boxes and still have not done much in the honey supers.  Hmmmm.  But there is still a long summer to go...I hope!

Tonight, I am using all the tech...and making a batch of blueberry butter in the slow cooker and Paul is painting the hallway.  I've never made a butter or used a slow cooker for canning.  This should be interesting.

Now, I am off to work on one of the garden beds for the day like a good gardener.

No comments:

Post a Comment