Monday, June 28, 2010

A Co-op of Friends

A group of us friends got together and have created our first 'Canning Co-op'.  Each of our six members agreed to make an extra batch of two items they like to can and share them with everyone in the group, giving each other member two jars of each of their two items.

So, in exchange for making an extra batch of Zucchini Relish and Tomato Relish, I will get Apple Butter, Raspberry/Blackberry Jambol, Pizza Sauce, Strawberry Jam, Blueberry Jam, Salsa, Strawberry Rhubarb Jam, Bread and Butter Pickles, and two more surprise items!  So, what an exchange!!  I'm totally excited...but ask me again how I feel about it when it's August and I'm standing over the hot stove, with steaming boiling water in my face making two extra friggin' batches of relishes!!!

It's a really awesome idea and I am so excited for the extra items in my pantry that I wouldn't normally make myself.




This is the book I learned how to can with.  I LOVE it...and for a long while, it was out of print.  This is a new version of the book, but if it's half as good as the original, I recommend it!  If you're interested in learning to can...BUY IT!

And if you've got LOTS AND LOTS of extra money hanging around, you can buy a used copy of the old edition for around $100.00!

No comments:

Post a Comment