Saturday, February 6, 2010

Winter Fare

I drove to Greenfield this morning to go to their Winter Fare Farmer's Market. It was like a breath of summer inside there: spinach, mesclun mix, corn, apples, cider, saur kraut, pears, fresh yoghurt, fresh eggs ($6.00 a dozen!!!), grains, cheese, meat...and of course all those root vegetables: potatoes, carrots, parsnip, beets, weird things I've never seen before...

I stocked up on some meat and vegetables. And I am so happy for fresh greens!!! It'll be like having a real summer salad. And I am going to try to freeze some spinach just to see how it comes out later. If it freezes and comes out actually tasting good, or good enough to use in soups and recipes, I am going to grow lots this summer to freeze for the winter. And I am going to try to bake up and freeze french fries and see how they come out for the same reason (thanks for finding that recipe so I could steal it from you, Laura).

This summer, I'd like to get a better handle on the garden and the farmer's market and be able to store enough food to get us through the winter and only supplement with 'luxury items' from the grocery store. And I am getting closer and closer to swearing off any non farm fresh, grass fed meat! It just gets creepier and creepier that grocery store meat...

I will say that we managed to plant enough garlic last year that it is going to last us into the new harvest! Whoo hoo! Success. And we planted even MORE this past fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment